Poached Alaska Black Cod Recipe
Would you like something unique for dinner? Have you ever wondered how to make cod with couscous? The next time you purchase black cod from your local grocer, try this quick recipe for how to cook cod with couscous and saffron broth.
How to Cook Cod With Couscous and Saffron Broth
Yield: Serves 2
Cooking method: Baking and saute
- Calories: 615.5
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
- Cholesterol: 49 mg
- Fat: 37.8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 28.71 g
- Saturated fat: 5.4 g
- Serving size: 1 4 oz. filet, 2 oz couscous
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Trans fat: 0 g
Total cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 cod filets (4 oz. each)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced,
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1 1/2 tsp saffron
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- Salt and pepper to taste
Quick Preparation Instructions - How to Make Cod With Couscous
1. If using frozen fish filets, thaw in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a glass baking dish with 1 tbsp olive oil.
3. Place filets in the baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Check for doneness using a fork; if the fish flakes easily, it is fully cooked.
4. While the fish is baking, saute onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables reach an appropriate level of doneness.
5. Add white wine and saffron to the simmering vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes, then add 1 cup chicken broth. Allow to simmer until ready to serve.
6. In a stock pot, bring 1 cup chicken broth to a boil. Remove from heat and add couscous. Let stand for 5 minutes, until all broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
7. To serve, place a serving of couscous in each serving dish. Gently place the roast fish on top of the couscous, and top with broth and vegetables.
Eating cold water fish as part of your weekly diet serves as a great way to consume the vital nutrient known as omega-3 fatty acid. Purchase black cod today, and use this black cod with couscous and saffron broth recipe to craft a great meal your entire family will enjoy. The best prices may be found when purchasing frozen fish. Shop around for the best prices on saffron.