Swiss chard-wrapped red banded rockfish recipe
Red banded rockfish is a delightful seafood with a mild but unique flavor. It is a great option for adding delicious seafood to your healthier diet without spending a lot of money. Learn how to make chard-wrapped red banded rockfish with this recipe, and see for yourself how tasty healthy eating on a budget can be.
This recipe serves 4 people, but it can be doubled or tripled if needed.
Cooking methods include:
Boiling, blanching, steaming. While steaming is best, you can also bake the skewers or prepare them on the grill.
Nutrition information per serving
- 8 large Swiss chard leaves
- 4 Alaska rockfish fillets, fresh or thawed
- 20 bamboo skewers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups Greek yogurt (2% fat)
- Olive oil
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill leaves
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- Blanch chard leaves (submerge in boiling water for 5 seconds, then submerge leaves in a bowl of ice water for 10 seconds).
- Remove leaves from ice water and pat dry with clean paper towels. Set leaves aside.
- Add about 1 inch of water to a saucepan in preparation for a steamer basket; bring water to a boil. Be sure to periodically check water level and maintain depth throughout preparation.
- Wrap each rockfish fillet in two chard leaves, making sure it is tight.
- Place 5 skewers evenly into the side of the fillets so the chard is held in place.
- Cut each fillet into five portions between the skewers.
- Season each skewer lightly with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Place skewers inside a bamboo steamer, leaving room between each for steam to circulate; place steamer over boiling water and cook approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Carefully remove steamer from saucepan
- Empty water from saucepan and return to heat; add olive oil until the bottom of pan is just covered. Sauté onions and peppers until tender-crisp, and add sesame seeds during the last minute of cooking.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, cucumber, dill, and lime juice. Set aside.
- To serve, add rice and vegetables to each plate, topping the rice with 5 skewers. Serve the sauce on the side.
Ready to try this quick and tasty dinner?
Now that you know how to cook chard-wrapped red banded rockfish skewers we hope we’ve tempted you to check out rockfish in our online store. We have the best prices on the best seafood.