Poached Halibut Recipe
As far as poached fish go my personal favorite is poached halibut fish. A long-time staple in the diet of the hardy Alaskan natives. Halibut is a lean fish with mild, sweet tasting white flesh, large flakes and a firm but tender texture that goes perfectly with a variety of different poaching flavors. There are many different poached halibut recipes for you to try. For example, two of the best halibut recipes are butter poached halibut which is a delicious delicacy that melts in your mouth, and poached halibut white wine which offers a fresh and classy taste that is difficult to resist.
One of my recipes for cooking halibut is poached halibut with aromatic herbs. Poaching halibut with the right herbs allows for a taste like no other as the essential oils from the herbs mix with the poaching liquid and are cooked into the fish. That’s what I’ll be showing you how to cook today.
- 2 tbsp. mirin rice wine (or white wine)
- 1 cup water or veggie stock
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme, or 1 tbsp. thyme leaves
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, or 1 tbsp. minced
- ½ tsp. whole peppercorns
- Sea salt
- 1 lb. halibut, cut into 4 four-ounce pieces
- 2 tbsp. unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice and zest
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced thin
- Put the mirin, water, shallots, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and peppercorns into an 8-inch frying pan and bring it to a boil.
- Season the fish with salt. Be generous!
- Place the fish pieces into the pan with the skin side down, and then lower the heat to a simmer and place a lid on top of the pan.
- Poach for 4 – 5 minutes depending upon the thickness of the fish.
- Remove the fish from the liquid, and then set aside into four separate bowls.
- Add butter, lemon juice, and garlic into the pan and cook for one minute.
- Spoon the liquid on top of the fish.
Once you’ve finished check to ensure the fish is done by gently sliding a knife through it, then check to ensure that the middle of the fish is not translucent. Once done add your favorite sides and enjoy your meal. This is truly one of the must nutritious and delicious meals you can cook up. Bon appetite!