Fish Sticks Recipe - Kid Friendly Homemade
KIDS FISH STICKS
This recipe serves 1 - 2 people, but it is very easy to double or triple.
- 1-2 lbs frozen fish fillets (we suggest Pacific Cod)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1-2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp seasoning mix or salt and pepper
- 2 – 3 Tbsp olive oil
Fish Sticks Cooking Instructions
- Rinse any ice glaze off of frozen fish under cool, running water. Pat fillets dry with a clean paper towel. Using a sharp knife, cut each fillet* into 1 - 2 inch sticks. Set aside.* Frozen fish can be slippery, so use caution when cutting. You can also thaw the fish before cutting, if you like.
- Mix the bread crumbs, wheat flour, and seasoning of your choice in a bowl or resealable bag.
- Place a few pieces of fish into the beaten egg, being sure to cover all sides. Move the egg-covered fish to the flour mixture. Make sure the whole fish piece if covered in the breading. Tap any loose breading from the fish, and place the fish on a plate while you repeat the process with remaining pieces.
- When all fish is breaded, add olive oil to a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place fish sticks in pan and cook about 2 – 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Cook's tip: You can prepare these fish sticks ahead of time and freeze for later use by going through the steps above until the fish is breaded. Do not cook the fish sticks. Instead, place them on a sheet pan and freeze, uncooked. When you're ready to use them, simply heat oil in your skillet and place the frozen fish stick in the oil. You'll need to increase the cooking time by a couple minutes. Internal temperatures should reach 145 degrees.
Fish Sticks and Health
It is quite true that if a fish stick is processed it can have so much sodium that is would become unhealthy. But homemade fish sticks can be much healthier if you have the right ingredients. Fish sticks calories can range depending on the amount of salt, oil, and whether the sticks are fried or baked. If cooked properly then fish sticks nutrition can be quite high and low on bad fats. Also by adding a non wheat type of flour can make your fish sticks gluten free. Don't forget that you can choose a different type of fish to make your fish sticks a little different. For example you can use salmon to make salmon fish sticks!
What To Eat With Fish Sticks
You will obviously not want to be eating your fish sticks by themselves, you will want some sides for fish sticks. You can always add steamed vegetables as a side in order to increase the nutritional value of your meal. But most importantly you may want to make some dipping sauce for fish sticks. There are many types of fish stick sauce, like tartar or ketchup. You can create a great deal of sauces, but do remember that some sauces may make your fish sticks slightly less healthy.
Get frozen cod today for your fish sticks!
We've got the best prices on top-quality frozen cod in our store. If you're ready to try our healthy and delicious fish stick recipe, visit our store today.