Kids and adults alike enjoy fish sticks for their crispy outsides and tender, delicious middles. But store-bought fish sticks are usually heavily processed, and often loaded with unhealthy fillers. Sometimes they disappoint with their mushy, unappetizing texture, too. What if we told you that you can make your own delicious fish sticks without all the additives and fillers and unhealthy stuff? Read on and we'll teach you how to make fish sticks in a healthy way without losing the tempting crunch and delicious flavor.
This recipe serves 1 - 2 people, but it is very easy to double or triple.
- 1-2 lbs frozen fish fillets (we suggest cod)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1-2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp seasoning mix or salt and pepper
- 2 – 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Rinse any ice glaze off of frozen fish under cool, running water. Pat fillets dry with a clean paper towel. Using a sharp knife, cut each fillet* into 1 - 2 inch sticks. Set aside.* Frozen fish can be slippery, so use caution when cutting. You can also thaw the fish before cutting, if you like.
- Mix the bread crumbs, wheat flour, and seasoning of your choice in a bowl or resealable bag.
- Place a few pieces of fish into the beaten egg, being sure to cover all sides. Move the egg-covered fish to the flour mixture. Make sure the whole fish piece if covered in the breading. Tap any loose breading from the fish, and place the fish on a plate while you repeat the process with remaining pieces.
- When all fish is breaded, add olive oil to a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place fish sticks in pan and cook about 2 – 3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Cook's tip: You can prepare these fish sticks ahead of time and freeze for later use by going through the steps above until the fish is breaded. Do not cook the fish sticks. Instead, place them on a sheet pan and freeze, uncooked. When you're ready to use them, simply heat oil in your skillet and place the frozen fish stick in the oil. You'll need to increase the cooking time by a couple minutes. Internal temperatures should reach 145 degrees.
Get frozen cod today for your fish sticks!
We've got the best prices on top-quality frozen cod in our store. If you're ready to try our healthy and delicious fish stick recipe, visit our store today.