We love crab here at Global Seafoods. It's one of those foods that just tastes like heaven, no matter how it's prepared. Steamed, roasted, grilled, baked, or boiled Dungeness Crab , it's hard not to enjoy crabs. Garlic Dungeness crab recipe is one of the tastiest ways to prepare this delicate meat, and we're happy to share our recipe with you.
Even if you have never cook Dungeness crab before, this garlic roasted crab recipe is sure to delight all the seafood lovers in your life, so dive in and learn how to roast crab the Global Seafoods way!
It's always best to read through a recipe first and gather your ingredients before you begin your meal preparation. This is to be certain you have everything you need, and to give you time to make substitutions if necessary, without worrying about burning your meal or skipping a step. That said, we've made sure this roasted Dungeness crab recipe is easy to follow and simple to cook.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for cooking the crabs
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, minced, peels reserved
- 1 onion, minced, peel reserved
4 giant Dungeness crabs, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds each
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper, or 6 to 8 fresh red chiles, such as serrano, minced and seeded, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
- Fill a large stockpot two-thirds full of water.
- Add enough salt so that the water tastes like seawater.
- Add half of the sliced lemon and the reserved peels from the garlic and onion, and bring to a boil.
- Plunge the Dungeness crabs in the water, in batches if necessary, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the crabs from the stockpot and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- When the whole crabs are cool enough to handle, remove the top shell and apron and discard. Remove the gills and any transparent cartilage and scrape out any crab fat and rinse cooked crabs under cool running water. Place boiled crabs, bottom side down, on a cutting board and halve lengthwise with a heavy knife.
- Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, the minced garlic, onions, butter, olive oil, crushed red pepper, and black pepper in a large roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven on the lowest rack, and bake, stirring occasionally, until onions and garlic are golden, about 8 minutes. (Do not allow the garlic to burn.)
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the crab pieces and mix thoroughly so that the crabs are well coated with the garlic and butter sauce.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake, stirring occasionally, until the crabs are heated through and the garlic mixture is braised onto the shells, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the chopped parsley or cilantro, and serve hot.
This recipe will serve 4 people. We suggest serving with a nice crusty bread and herb butter, or paired with pasta and a light sauce. We hope you truly enjoy this roasted crab recipe—go ahead and leave a comment to let us know! If you're looking for a great place with Dungeness crabs for sale, look no further than Global Seafoods. We're a trusted name in the seafood business! With our unbeatable money-back guarantee, you can't go wrong with us. Check out our customer reviews and see for yourself that we stand behind every purchase.
Ready to try this and other great seafood recipes? Browse our other offerings and expand your culinary horizons!