Beer Battered Cod and Onion Rings
Easy Beer Battered Cod and onion rings recipe
This recipe serves up to four people. You can easily double this recipe or cut it in half, depending on how many people you'll be serving
Cooking methods: Frying in oil and warming in the oven.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling on onion rings and fish
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (half a 12-oz. bottle) medium-bodied ale (such as New Belgium's Fat Tire)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into 1/2-in.-thick rings
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless PACIFIC COD FILLETS, rinsed and cut into 2- by 4-in. pieces
- 1 lemon, sliced paper-thin
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs, stems trimmed
- Preheat oven to 200 °F
- Whisk flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, egg, and beer in a large bowl until mixed well.
- In an 8-qt. pot, heat 2 in. of oil to 375° over medium-high heat. Add onion to batter, turn to coat well, then put several onion rings in pot. It's important not to crowd the onions in the oil as this will make them stick and prevent them from getting crisp. Fry, turning often, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a rack set over a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt, and put in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining onions.
- Skim the oil to remove any batter bits. Be patient while allowing the oil to heat to 375°. Adding the fish too quickly will result in soggy fish. As the oil is heating, add fish to batter and turn to coat well. Cook fish in hot oil, turning and holding down as needed, until deep golden brown, about 7 minutes. As with the onions, do not crowd the fish. Drain on rack and sprinkle with salt.
- Add lemon slices and parsley to oil and cook until crisp, about 1 minute.
- Pile fish and onion rings on a platter and garnish with fried lemon slices and parsley.
A classic meal awaits you!
Now that you know how to prepare this delicious meal, you can buy fresh cod in our store and get started. Top-quality seafood delivered to your door, and a money-back guarantee that can't be beat. See what we have to offer!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.