Dungeness Crab Cakes
The best crab cake recipe
Make ahead convenience
One of the best parts of healthy crab cakes, besides the incredible taste, is the fact you can make a whole batch now, then save some for later. Our recipe makes the best frozen crab cakes, retaining their flavor, texture, and appeal even after freezing and heating back up. The cooking directions are the same whether you plan to eat them right away or save some for later. Whether you do eat your low carb crab cakes right away or you choose to save them for later, you'll want to make the aioli fresh—but don't worry. Our recipe will teach you how to make both. The aioli is a very fast process. You can mix it while the frozen crab cakes are heating in your pan!
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds Dungeness Crab crab meat
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (made from 4 or 5 slices white bread with the crusts removed and processed in food processor)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more if needed
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 recipe Garlic Aioli with Celery Root, for serving, recipe follows
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Garlic Aioli with Celery Root:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- Make the crab cakes first so they have time to firm up in the refrigerator before you cook them.
- Heat a 2-count of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onion gets kind of caramelized. Dump that into a bowl and fold in the crabmeat, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg white, lime juice, and cilantro, mixing just until well blended. Season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 6 fat crab cakes. Put them on a plate, cover, and stick them in the refrigerator to chill.
- To serve, heat a 3-count of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the fresh crab cakes and cook for about 4 minutes each side until nice and crisp. Serve on torn butcher paper with fresh lemon wedges and Garlic Aioli with Celery Root.
- Garlic Aioli with Celery Root:
- About 2 cups shredded celery root, shredded using the grater attachment of a food processor or a mandoline
- Mince garlic and make into paste using the side of your knife. Hint: to make this go faster add a bit of salt to the garlic and continue mashing with the side of your knife.
- Place the paste a large bowl and add: the sour cream, mayonnaise, celery seed, lemon juice, and oil. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fold in the shredded celery root and chives. Give it a final taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Alaskan king crab for sale
Global Seafoods has Alaskan King crab for sale right now at an incredible price. We sell our giant King crab legs in large enough quantities to make a main dish and still have some left over to create these incredible garlic crab cakes. Backed by our guarantee, we're sure you'll be pleased with your purchase. If you give this recipe a try, please let us know what you think!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.