Top 8 Reasons You Should Be Eating Seafood
EATING SEAFOOD HEALTH BENEFITS
- It is often found that in today’s society we do not consume enough Omega-3. The consumption of Omega-3 can help enforce good eyesight, helps fight inflammation and can even help boost brain function. When you eat fish like salmon or black cod you will receive a very healthy dose of Omega-3, which in turn will help keep you healthy and feeling good.
- We all know that the older we get, the more we need to pay attention to our cholesterol. But did you know that there are two types of cholesterol? There are Low Density Lipids (LDL) and High Density Lipids (HDL). LDL can be found in foods like bacon, muffins and egg yolks. LDL is bad because it builds up in the walls of your arteries and increases your risk of heart disease and stroke. HDL can be found in nuts, olives and certain fish like salmon (which is considered the healthiest fish to eat). HDL helps break down the LDL that accumulates in your blood stream, which in turn helps decrease your risk of cardiovascular illness.
Very lean source of protein
- Protein is a vital source of energy for the body. Without a healthy source of protein the muscles in the body will begin breaking down and will not heal properly when damage occurs or after a strenuous workout. You can get protein from any type of meat, but some sources of protein can be heavily loaded with fat. Sure fat is necessary part of a healthy diet, but you do not want to be loading equal portions of protein and fat. This is why seafood is great! There is an immense variety of fish that are full of protein and light on the fats, making it the perfect food for the health conscious individual!
No hormones, antibiotics or filler
- One of the biggest concerns about meat sources is whether or not they have been fed hormones or antibiotics during their life and if they have been processed with chemical fillers. This can be a major issue because it can cause allergic reactions and has been linked to increases in cases of resistant bacteria. Luckily when you look at Alaskan and US processed wild seafood you are guaranteed that there is no contamination present. Of course there are small outliers in some fish like Blue Fin Tuna, which naturally have a higher level of mercury; but for the most part US processed wild seafood will not have anything added to it.
Prevents and Can Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
- This is more of a combination of the above points but I think it is big enough to give its own point on this list. The fact that certain fish like salmon and black cod are low in bad fats and cholesterol and high in good lipids can help people who are at risk of type 2 diabetes stay healthy and can help people who already suffer from type 2 to possibly reverse the illness. Studies throughout the health community have found this fact to be true.
Slows Cancer Growth and Curbs Cancer Risk
- Studies have found that inflammation can prompt the growth of tumors and can speed up the growth and spread of cancers that have already developed. Since many types of seafood, like Chum Salmon have a healthy amount of Omega-3 and LDL, the result of eating them can be a decrease in overall inflammation in the body. This can keep us healthy and keep us from developing a cancerous tumor, and for those of us who are currently fighting cancer the decrease of inflammation can help not only deal with the side effects of treatment, but also it can boost the chances of survival and long term remission.
It Helps Treat Depression
- Depression is often linked to an unbalance of certain chemicals in the human brain as well as mental aspects. Doctors believe that adding certain foods to your diet can help in the fight against depression. One of the essential vitamins that help treat depression is vitamin D. Many people throughout the world live with a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is attributed to a lack of Vitamin D in the winter due to limited contact with the sun. Symptoms of this disorder can range from feeling fatigued to feeling depressed. Vitamin D supplements can help with treating this condition, as well as eating salmon, which has a large amount of Vitamin D.
It is Delicious!
- Let us be completely frank. Seafood is just absolutely delicious! Sometimes eating healthy can be bland and boring, but with seafood you have so much flavor that it being healthy is just a big plus! Seriously! Who doesn't love some Snow Crab Legs!?
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in News
Seattle is an urban center known for delicious eats, and we want you to enjoy the best restaurants in Seattle. Whether you live in Seattle, or are planning your first visit, we've got restaurant recommendations for you with our Seattle Restaurant Guide. Don't forget to check out Seattle restaurant week specials every March and April.
According to one of the most prolific restaurateurs in Montreal, David McMillan, Montreal is the new capital seafood and fine dining hotspot due to the advanced palates of the diners more than the skill of the cooks.